Written declaration No. 529 | Doc. 12992 | 28 June 2012
London Summit on Family Planning 11 July 2012: access to contraceptives for 120 million more women by 2020
- family planning
- summit meeting
We the undersigned members of Parliament
- Salute the UK Government and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for its initiative to host the London Summit on Family Planning on 11 July 2012
- Are concerned that around 222 million women around the world who don’t want to get pregnant cannot access contraceptives; every two minutes a woman dies of pregnancy-related complications;
- Underline that contraceptives save lives: additional 120 million women accessing contraceptives by 2020 would result in 200,000 fewer women and girls dying in pregnancy and childbirth; over 50 million fewer abortions; more than 100 million fewer unintended pregnancies; nearly 3 million fewer babies dying in their first year of life
- Stress that one US dollar spent on family planning saves governments 4 dollars on health, housing, water, other public services.
- Urge the Council of Europe Donor Governments to play a key role in mobilizing new and securing the existing financing commitments to support the rights of an additional 120 million women and girls in the world to use contraceptive information, services and supplies, without coercion or discrimination, by 2020.