Recommendation 1967 (2011)1
The large-scale arrival of irregular migrants, asylum seekers and refugees on Europe’s southern shores
1. The Parliamentary Assembly refers to its Resolution 1805 (2011) on the large-scale arrival of irregular migrants, asylum seekers and refugees on Europe’s southern shores.
2. In this context, the Assembly welcomes, following the initiative of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, the quick response given by the Committee of Ministers relating to the Organisation’s possible action in the event of mass arrivals of asylum seekers and migrants from the southern Mediterranean region. It also welcomes the support given by the Committee of Ministers to the Secretary General’s proposals regarding the development of emergency action plans and the training of officials dealing with requests for asylum.
3. While hoping that these measures will be implemented without delay, the Assembly stresses that the Council of Europe has a greater role to play, both in the short and long term.
4. The Assembly believes that its own experience, the experience of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) and the experience of the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights could be helpful for the authorities involved in dealing with these large-scale arrivals of migrants and asylum seekers. It recommends that the Council of Europe bring together those responsible for reception and detention in member states, along with relevant Council of Europe bodies, to look at best practices and methods of co-operation to ensure the protection of minimum standards of human rights and clarity on what is expected from member states.
5. The Assembly also urges the Committee of Ministers to examine, with the Council of Europe Development Bank, the extent to which it can support member states in the reception of irregular migrants, refugees and asylum seekers, and the integration of those in need of international protection.
1 . Assembly debate on 14 April 2011 (16th Sitting) (see Doc. 12581, report of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Population, rapporteur: Ms Strik). Text adopted by the Assembly on 14 April 2011 (16th Sitting).