1. The Committee on Culture, Science and Education in general
supports the report by Mr Mendes Bota, rapporteur of the Committee
on Economic Affairs and Development, and which explores in depth
the economic aspects of this question.
2. It wishes to recall past Parliamentary Assembly work on this
subject, to which the committee has contributed in insisting on
the cultural aspects of tourism.
3. We would also draw attention to the relevant parts of more
recent Council of Europe instruments and the related work on cultural
tourism by other organisations notably Icomos and Europa Nostra.
4. Our concern has always been to balance encouragement of cultural
tourism with protection of the cultural and natural heritage on
which it relies. This concern is reflected in the report by Mr Mendes
Bota with his emphasis on sustainability and on the need to spread
tourist pressure geographically and seasonally.
5. Certain advantages of quality tourism cannot be easily quantified
in economic terms but are no less important such as cultural diversity
and intercultural dialogue.