Progress report | Doc. 13813 Addendum II | 15 June 2015
Election of Judges to the European Court of Human Rights
Bureau of the Assembly
1. Report of the Committee on the Election of Judges to the European Court of Human Rights
The committee held a meeting in Paris on 9 and 10 June 2015 with Mr Klaas de Vries (Netherlands, Socialist Group) in the Chair.
In accordance with previous practice and as specified in Parliamentary Assembly Resolution 2002 (2014), the Committee on the Election of Judges to the European Court of Human Rights assessed the qualifications of the candidates to the Court in respect of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Latvia, Luxembourg and Monaco. The committee interviewed all the candidates on 9 and 10 June 2015. A list of members of the committee who participated in the meeting can be found in Appendix 2.
3. Conclusions of the committee on the lists of candidates submitted by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Latvia, Luxembourg and Monaco, Contracting States to the European Convention on Human Rights
The committee recommends, by a narrow majority, the candidature of Mr Armen HARUTYUNYAN, over that of the candidature of Ms Liana HAKOBYAN, as the most qualified candidate.
As none of the candidates are sufficiently well-qualified, the committee recommends that the list be rejected by the Assembly and that the Government of Azerbaijan be requested to submit a new list of candidates.
The committee recommends, by a clear majority, the candidature of Mr Mārtiņš MITS, over that of Ms Daiga REZEVSKA, as the most qualified candidate.
The committee recommends, with an overwhelming majority, the candidature of Mr Georges RAVARANI as the most qualified candidate.
The committee recommends, with an overwhelming majority, the candidature of Ms Stéphanie MOUROU-VIKSTRÖM as the most qualified candidate.
Appendix 1 – Lists of candidates submitted by the Governments of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Latvia, Luxembourg and Monaco(open)
- Mr Arayik GHAZARYAN
- Ms Liana HAKOBYAN
- Mr Armen HARUTYUNYAN
- Ms Aygün ABDULLAYEVA
- Ms Vüsalə BAXIŞOVA
- Mr Çingiz ƏSGƏROV
- Mr Artūrs KUČS
- Mr Mārtiņš MITS
- Ms Daiga REZEVSKA
- Ms Marie-Jeanne KAPPWEILER
- Mr François MOYSE
- Mr Georges RAVARANI
- Ms Anne-Marie LE POURHIET
- Ms Stéphanie MOUROU-VIKSTRÖM
- Mr Eric SENNA
Appendix 2 – Members of the committee who participated in the meeting(open)
Group of the European People’s Party (EPP/CD):
- Mr Hans FRANKEN, Netherlands
- Mr Valeriu GHILETCHI, Republic of Moldova
- Ms Arpine HOVHANNISYAN, Armenia
- Mr Sergiy VLASENKO, Ukraine
- Mr Agustín CONDE, Spain
- Mr Vladyslav GOLUB, Ukraine
- Ms Inese LĪBINA-EGNERE, Latvia
Socialist Group (SOC):
- Ms Eka BESELIA, Georgia
- Mr Boriss CILEVIČS, Latvia
- Mr Pierre-Yves Le BORGN, France
- Lord John TOMLINSON, United Kingdom
- Mr Klaas de VRIES, Netherlands, Chairperson
- Ms Nataša VUČKOVIĆ, Serbia
- Mr Arcadio DÍAZ TEJERA, Spain
- Mr Daniel FLOREA, Romania
Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE):
- Mr Jordi XUCLÀ, Spain
- Ms De PIETRO, Italy
European Conservatives Group (EC):
- Mr Arkadiusz MULARCZYK, Poland
- Ms Gülsün BİLGEHAN, Chairperson of the Committee on Equality and Non-Discrimination
Secretariat of the Parliamentary Assembly:
- Mr Wojciech SAWICKI, Secretary General of the Parliamentary Assembly
- Mr Andrew DRZEMCZEWSKI, Head of the Legal Affairs and Human Rights Department