The Third Summit
14 September 2004
Motion for a recommendation
presented by Mr van der Linden and others
This motion has not been discussed in the Assembly and commits only the members who have signed it
1. Following the Assemblys first proposal in 1999, on 8 July 2004 the Committee of Ministers decided to hold the Council of Europes Third Summit in Warsaw on 16-17 May 2005.
2. This date is highly symbolic as the Summit will thus take place 60 years after the end of World War Two and some 15 years after the fall o f communism in Central and Eastern Europe.
3. The report on the agenda and possible outcome of the Summit presented to the 114th Session of the Committee of Ministers, to a large extend inspired by the Assemblys proposals, provides a good basis for the preparation of the Summit.
4. It is crucial for the Council of Europes future that the Summit be a success, bringing tangible results for Europes 800 million citizens.
5. The Third Summit should give the Council of Europe a new mandate for the decades to come and clarify relations with its main partners, the European Union and the OSCE.
6. The Polish Foreign Minister has expressed the host countrys wish that the Third Summit be the Summit of European unity.
7. It is now urgent for the Assembly to elaborate on its earlier proposals, and to complete the preliminary agenda set by the Committee of Ministers. It should therefore prepare a detailed recommendation to the Committee of Ministers. While the main message is clearly political, the proposals should also cover legal, social, cultural and other issues.
8. At the same time, political momentum should be generated through debates in national parliaments, in order to stress the importance of the Summit and to obtain the necessary support for the proposals made.
9. The Assembly therefore recommends that the Committee of Ministers include its proposals in the agenda of the Third Summit.
van der LINDEN, René, Netherlands, EPP/CD
EINARSSON, Mats, Sweden, UEL/GUE
IWINSKI, Tadeusz, Poland, SOC
de ZULUETA, Tana, Italy, SOC
ATKINSON, David, United Kingdom, EDG
KOSACHEV, Konstantin, Russia, EDG
BLANKENBORG, Haakon, Norway, SOC
LLOYD, Tony, United Kingdom, SOC
HOLOVATY, Serhiy, Ukraine, LDR
AZZOLINI, Claudio, Italy, EPP/CD
SCHREINER, Bernard, France, EPP/CD
JAKIC, Roman, Slovenia, LDR
GROSS, Andreas, Switzerland, SOC
CLIVETI, Minodora, Romania, SOC
CHRISTODOULIDES, Doros, Cyprus, UEL/GUE
MERCAN, Murat, Turkey, EPP/CD
SEYIDOV, Samad, Azerbaijan, EDG
SEVERINSEN, Hanne, Denmark, LDR
Van den BRANDE, Luc, Belgium, EPP/CD
BINDIG, Rudolf, Germany, SOC
ELO, Mikko, Finland, SOC
WOHLWEND, Renate, Liechtenstein, EPP/CD
Group of the European Peoples Party
European Democratic Group
Liberal, Democratic and Reformers Group
Group of the Unified European Left
Not registered in a group