Doc. 11100 rev.
10 January 2007
Disappearance of new-born babies for illegal adoption in Europe
Motion for a recommendation
presented by Mrs Vermot-Mangold and others
This motion has not been discussed in the Assembly and commits only the members who have signed it
1. Trafficking of human beings is increasing steadily in Europe. In addition to the trafficking of human beings – especially women and minors – which is already widespread in eastern Europe, another trade is developing in the region: a traffic in new-born babies.
2. New-born babies are disappearing in mysterious circumstances every day. Among the examples we know about is the case of several babies just a few hours old stolen from their mothers at a clinic in Kharkov, Ukraine. The babies were declared by medical staff to have been born prematurely or to have died as a result of complications, and their parents were never allowed to see the babies' bodies.
3. Other cases have also been reported in Moldova. Newspaper advertisements target any unmarried mothers who might be willing to sell their child for 3,000 euros. Theses babies, too, are victims of trafficking and illegal international adoption.
4. Bearing in mind the higher interests of the child and the variations in adoption legislation – especially in relation to international adoption – and the need for European harmonisation of that legislation, the Parliamentary Assembly proposes that its competent Committee continue its inquiry into the reasons for the disappearance of new-born babies and study the scope for harmonizing adoption legislation at European level.
5. The Parliamentary Assembly points out that this issue very much fits in with the action plan adopted at the third Council of Europe Summit, and with the three-year programme entitled "Building a Europe for and with children".
VERMOT-MANGOLD, Ruth-Gaby, Switzerland, SOC
ASPHJELL, Jorodd, Norway, SOC
BARGHOLTZ, Helena, Sweden, ALDE
CHERNYSHENKO, Igor, Russian Federation, EDG
COUSIN, Alain, France, EPP/CD
DEES, Dirk, Netherlands, ALDE
DUPRAZ, John, Switzerland, ALDE
EVIN, Claude, France, SOC
FERNÁNDEZ-CAPEL, Blanca, Spain, EPP/CD
GEVEAUX, Jean-Marie, France, EPP/CD
HURSKAINEN, Sinikka, Finland, SOC
IORDACHE, Gratiela, Denisa, Romania, ALDE
KOLESNIKOV, Victor, Russian Federation, EDG
ÖHMAN, Conny, Sweden, SOC
RIGONI, Andrea, Italy, EPP/CD
EPP/CD: Group of the European People’s Party
ALDE: Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
EDG: European Democratic Group
UEL: Group of the Unified European Left
NR: not registered in a group