5 March 2007
“Parliaments united in combating domestic violence against women”: mid-term assessment
Motion for a resolution
presented by Mrs Bilgehan and others
This motion has not been discussed in the Assembly and commits only the members who have signed it
1. Further to Resolution 1512 adopted by the Parliamentary Assembly in June 2006, the Parliamentary Assembly, the national parliaments of the member States and parliaments holding observer status with the Assembly have mobilised to implement the parliamentary dimension of the Council of Europe Campaign “Stop domestic violence against women” (hereafter “the Campaign”) over the period November 2006 – March 2008.
2. The highlights of the Parliamentary Assembly’s activity “Parliaments united in combating domestic violence against women” so far have been:
- the co-ordinating meeting on 19 October 2006 of the reference parliamentarians involved in the Campaign;
- the adoption of a Solemn Declaration by the Standing Committee of the Assembly;
- the launch of the Campaign at the Spanish Senate on 27 November 2006;
- the launch of the Campaign at the national level by means of a Parliamentary Day of Action in 25 national parliaments;
- the preparation of a Handbook for use by parliamentarians, and production of media material, also aimed at parliamentarians.
3. At this midway point in the implementation of this activity, the Assembly is hoping to assess the initial results at the parliamentary level and to propose new ideas for activities in 2007/2008. The Assembly’s proposals include:
3.1. assessing the involvement of national parliaments in the first campaign of this type conducted by the Assembly and their interaction with the players involved in implementing the intergovernmental, local and regional dimensions;
3.2. proposing new ideas for activities to continue the action of national parliaments up to mid 2008, and programming joint actions in co-operation with other institutions;
3.3. identifying and developing new ideas for follow-up work on the Campaign;
3.4. inviting national parliaments to continue their action in, and commitment to combating domestic violence;
3.5. organising a debate during the June 2007 part-session on the assessment and ongoing implementation of the parliamentary dimension of the Campaign.
EPP/CD: Group of the European People’s Party
ALDE: Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
EDG: European Democratic Group
UEL: Group of the Unified European Left
NR: not registered in a group