10 October 2006
Reviving the Palestinian economy
Motion for a resolution
presented by Mrs Pericleous Papadopoulos and others
This motion has not been discussed in the Assembly and commits only the members who have signed it
1. The desperate economic and financial situation prevailing in the Palestinian territories has caused poverty and misery among the Palestinian people and is likely to encourage extremism and conflict.
2. The Israeli Government refuses to pay some USD 50 million a month in taxes and duties it collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority and maintains a virtual blockade on economic transactions into and out of the territories. Both the United States Government and the European Union have cut off their direct financial support for the Palestinian Authority, leaving it unable to pay the salaries of civil servants and others whose work is vital to the basic needs of the Palestinians, sapping their economic and social welfare and their human rights.
3. This amounts to imposing economic sanctions against the Palestinian people to punish them for the results of the democratic elections held in January 2006.
4. In order to prevent any further deterioration in the standard of living of the Palestinian people, the Parliamentary Assembly urges the European Union, the United States of America and Israel to end the economic and financial sanctions they impose on the Palestinian Authority.
5. The Parliamentary Assembly calls on the international donor community, in particular national and international aid agencies, to step up their support for the development of the Palestinian economy.
PAPADOPOULOS, Antigoni, Cyprus, ALDE
ÇAVUŞOĞLU, Mevlüt, Turkey, EDG
DUPRAZ, John, Switzerland, ALDE
EINARSSON, Mats, Sweden, UEL
GLESENER, Marcel, Luxembourg, EPP/CD
GROSS, Andreas, Switzerland, SOC
HÖRSTER, Joachim, Germany, EPP/CD
KOSACHEV, Konstantin, Russian Federation, EDG
Lord, RUSSELL-JOHNSTON, Russel, United Kingdom, ALDE
MARGELOV, Mikhail, Russian Federation, EDG
MARTY, Dick, Switzerland, ALDE
MERCAN, Murat, Turkey, EPP/CD
PAPADIMITRIOU, Elsa, Greece, EPP/CD
RIGONI, Andrea, Italy, EPP/CD
Van den BRANDE, Luc, Belgium, EPP/CD
ZAPFL-HELBLING, Rosmarie, Switzerland, EPP/CD
1 SOC: Socialist Group
EPP/CD: Group of the European People’s Party
ALDE: Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
EDG: European Democratic Group
UEL: Group of the Unified European Left
NR: not registered in a group