12 February 1992
MOTION FOR A RESOLUTION
on Europe's contribution to the fight against
hunger and to the development of the most
presented by Mr FOURRÉ and others
1. One of the Council of Europe's goals is the strengthening of North-South co-operation and the peaceful reduction of the excessive inequalities between North and South.
2. At the same time, factors which could lead to a major crisis exist, showing that certain third world countries "lack" the necessary support to cope with this crisis.
3. Indicators relating to the food, social provisions, health and education are worsening - meaning a death sentence on millions of people each year and a plunge by several hundred million human beings into unacceptable living conditions.
4. The role of the Council of Europe member states in the internal development of the poorest countries is thus becoming essential.
5. Consequently, the Assembly considers that:
i. all the Council of Europe member states have a duty of solidarity with the most disadvantaged countries;
ii. the process of development assistance must be continued and improved through the addition of a new pillar to co-operation policy, namely local development implemented particularly through the involvement of non-governmental or local parties, grouped and jointly funded, with a contractualisation procedure at several levels;
iii. this process is intended to:
- ensure a speedy reduction in mortality,
- create the conditions for guaranteed food supplies,
- make it possible to take account simultaneously of all fundamental needs,
- foster the long-term ability of the population to take responsibility for its own development;
iv. outline agreements defining the respective roles of states and civil societies from North and South must also be promoted;
v. a European fund for development assistance must be set up, initially based on endowments from Council of Europe member states, to be used each year for this kind of programme;
vi. management of these responses, verification of the conditions, communications, monitoring and financial control would be the responsibility of a body such as a "European Agency for Survival and Development", bringing together representatives of the states and the other parties, arrangements for which remain to be defined.
Signed: FOURRÉ, PISTRE, KOEHL, DHAILLE, IWINSKI, SCHEER, GJŘRV, BAARVELD-SCHLAMAN, PAHTAS, HARDY, THYRAUD, BOHL, BASSINET, WORMS, HUNAULT, RUFFY