8 May 1992
MOTION FOR A RECOMMENDATION
on the pollution of the Black Sea
presented by Mr DEMIRALP and others
1. Referring to the provisions of the Convention of Basle on the control of transfrontier movements of dangerous waste and its elimination;
2. Considering the motion for a recommendation on the management, processing, recycling and marketing of waste presented by Mr Massaret and others on 7 February 1992 (Doc. 6572);
3. Deeply concerned by the rapid pollution of the Black Sea, causing damage to fauna and flora;
4. Preoccupied by the grave deterioration of the quality of the waters of this sea by illegally dumped barrels containing radioactive waste;
5. Alarmed by the very bad quality of the waters of the Danube flowing into the Black Sea;
6. Given the fact that all the dangerous substances, such as nitrogen compounds, nitrates, methane and sulphur, which have been dumped in this sea for many years, present real dangers, according to scientific opinion;
7. Resolves to study the question of pollution of the Black Sea.
Signed: DEMIRALP, JUNG, DIN«ERLER, ASTGEIRSDOTTIR, HAGARD, ÷ZVER, KILI«, TALAY, TUMMERS, OEHRY, KIRATLIOGLU, MIMAROGLU, F CACCIA, ROBERT, CEM, STOFFELEN, RUFFY, MACKIE OF BENSHIE, RUBNER, GRAENITZ, VELLA, J THOMPSON, KOBYLKA, G BJARNASON, DROMBERG, GRANSTEDT, BILLING, ZIERER, SARENS, SEVERINSEN, MESZAROS, PISTRE, G‹L.