8 May 1992
MOTION FOR A RECOMMENDATION
on the strategic issue of cable networks in Europe
presented by Mr FOURRÉ and others
1. Having examined the situation of cable networks in Western Europe and observed that the degree to which such networks are developed varies from country to country;
2. Drawing attention to the specific nature of the problems arising in each country, in particular technical problems but also those relating to legislation and management;
3. Hoping that a study will be made of possible relations with the countries of Central and Eastern Europe in the technical, financial and planning fields;
4. Highlighting the importance of the technological, industrial, economic and cultural issues at stake for all of Europe and the impact of future choices on the relations of Europe as a whole with the United States and Japan,
5. Recommends that the Committee of Ministers:
i. promote, as soon as possible, a meeting at the appropriate Ministerial level to assess the cable network situation in Western Europe and the prospects for introducing cable networks in Eastern Europe;
ii. inform the Assembly of the conclusions of this study and of practical measures to be taken to facilitate the installation of cable networks, which are strategically important in all European countries, and ensure harmonious development of this technology so that European interests are safeguarded vis-à-vis those of the United States and Japan.
Signé: FOURRÉ, JUNG, THYRAUD, WORMS, VIAL-MASSAT, LAGORCE, LEMOINE, COLUMBERG, GRUSSENMEYER, DURAND.