12 October 1992
MOTION FOR A RESOLUTION
to condemn all forms of incitation to hatred
on ethnic, racial or religious grounds by members of the
legislative, executive and judicial power
presented by Mr TERNAK and others
1. All member states of the Council of Europe have committed themselves to the principles of human rights laid down in the Statute of the Council of Europe and in the European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
2. Discrimination on the grounds of ethnic, racial or religious origin is a serious danger and impediment to friendly and peaceful relations among states, nations and peoples and is capable of endangering or disturbing peace and security.
3. Manifestations of ethnic, racial and religious discrimination still in practice and governmental policies fostering discriminative aspirations or ambitions, which are in violation of and in contradiction to all the Organisation's principles, are alarming.
4. All written and spoken declarations made by members of the legislative, executive or judicial power are important.
5. The Assembly therefore calls on all members of the above-mentioned bodies and politicians to refrain from making public statements capable of evoking hatred and impatience among people belonging to different ethnic, racial or religious groups and of disturbing peaceful and friendly co-operation among the states in Europe.
Signed: TERNAK, ATKINSON, F PROBST, SCHIEDER, PANOV, ESPERSEN, MESZAROS, EVERSDIJK, SZELÉNYI, RATHBONE, HUNT, SARKIJARVI, SZENT-IVANYI